Friday, August 19, 2011

Freedom Essentials for a Fabulously Awesome Beach Vacation

I don't know about you, but Toronto summer just makes me want to fly away and swim in the ocean. So, I did: I went to a heavenly place called Turks and Caicos and swam with the fishes under me and the pelicans above me. It was absolutely magical. 
Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Outside of the ocean, I had a little help from these Freedom items to make my vacation perfect:
 1. A pocket from Sparrow Avenue - perfect size for all the essentials like car keys (you need a car to get around in Turks and Caicos), cash, Tylenol, lip balm, eye drops and contact lenses case, etc etc. The colour blends in with the sand so if you are ever worried about leaving your stuff unattended by the beach (not really a problem where I went), you can simply bury it a little bit (I would recommend to do so by a large permanent marking so that you can find it later..) and no one would notice.
2. Skin care! While proper sun protection is a definite must, there are other little things that are also much needed in tolerating the tropical sun. Priya's lavender face scrub makes my skin less oily throughout the day. The deet-free bug repellent really saved me during my journey through the caves in Middle Caicos. Silly me, I forgot to spray some on my face and so my forehead suffers while the rest of my body was safe and sound. 
Daniel's Cafe, Middle Caicos, Turks and Caicos
3. Lyocell is a sustainable fibre made from cellulose found in wood pulp that has been harvested from tree farms. Not only that, it is extremely soft and light on your body. It was a blessing! Perfect for walks, and also to throw over your swimsuit. We have two designers working with lyocell: Kali Clothing has racerback tanks and tank dresses; Atelier B has spaghetti strap tops, v-neck tees and scoop neck blouses. I basically alternated between these tops and dresses throughout the trip.
With all these handy, I bet you'll have as smooth of a sail as I did. Bon voyage!
Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
p.s. Stay tuned for vacation report part two, all about the local artisans from the islands!